Curriculum

  • Textiles Header

Textiles

Textiles based courses are on offer across the Key Stage 3 and Key Stage 4 curriculum. Pupils in Yr 7/8 study Textiles as part of the ‘Technology’ experience and may also study Food Technology and Resistant Materials. At Key Stage 4 we offer the option to study AQA Art and Design: Textile Design at GCSE level, the preparation for which begins in year 9.

Year 7 Textiles

In year 7 students are given the exciting opportunity to invent and make their very own Monster using a range of fabrics and techniques. Pupils are involved in researching, designing, making and evaluating their product.

Year 8 Textiles

In year 8 we explore ‘Pop Art’ to inspire us in developing and making textile products such as cushions. Pupils will use a wide range of textile techniques and equipment, including the use of the CAD and CAM embroidery machine to produce their own personalised labels.

Year 9 Textiles

The Year 9 Curriculum offers pupils the opportunity for skill building in preparation of the start of their GCSE coursework in year 10. Pupils will develop an understanding of how to extract information from their research sources and explore a range of ideas and textile techniques. They will produce 2 mini projects working towards creative textile outcomes. Current themes include ‘Food and Drink’ and ‘Harry Potter!’

Year 10/11 Textiles

The students will build on their experience in year 9 to complete their ‘Unit 1’ Portfolio of Work which runs until January in year 11.

The main coursework project theme aims to inspire personal and creative work and involves working with a wide variety of materials and textile techniques. Current themes may include ‘Memories’, ‘Alice in Wonderland’ or ‘Romeo and Juliet’. The use of literature as a starting point lends itself as rich source for discussion, often leading to creative and meaningful ideas, promoting positive links with literacy. The course is student led and pupils are very much encouraged to become independent learners and take ownership of their own learning journey. Students are advised to utilize ‘Pinterest’ as a tool to aid their research.

Students will sit their practical exam in year 11 for the Unit 2 ‘Externally Set Task’. The preparation for this will begin in January.

The GCSE is assessed based on their Unit 1 ‘Portfolio of Work’, which accounts for 60% of the total GCSE grade and the Unit 2 ‘Externally Set Task’ makes up the remaining 40% of the total marks. 

All GCSE all students are offered extra support at the after school sessions which run on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 3.00 pm until 4.15 pm.