Curriculum

  • RM Header

Resistant Materials

Year 7 Resistant Materials
In year 7 Resistant Materials pupils take part in a project called “You’ve been Framed”! The project involves a design and make task to create a photo frame. This gives pupils an opportunity to learn and develop both designing and practical skills. They work with plastic and forming techniques to create the holder for the photo, then go on to develop their knowledge and understanding of materials by completing a frame using Pine. The project has a sustainability and recycling theme and pupils are encouraged to develop creative and imaginative ways of decorating the frame using unwanted or recycled products. Themes have included old computer keys, Lego bricks and shells from local beaches.

Year 8 Resistant Materials
In year 8 Resistant Materials we look at the design influences of Alessi, the Italian design house in order to create some crazy clocks! The  influence of designers encourages the use of colourful and humorous design work. We then go on to design and make colourful vacuum formed clocks which feature computer-aided design and make techniques.

Year 9 Resistant Materials
In year 9 pupils undergo a new and exciting project as part of their GCSE preparation. They design and make a speaker that is compatible with all phones/MP3 personal stereo systems. The project gives pupils the opportunity to work independently through a set of simple step by step instructions to complete the electronic circuit, It then continues to extend a variety of skills when developing the housing for the electronic components, Projects range between complex CAD/CAM units, to recycled baked bean cans with a contemporary Retro feel.

Year 10 Resistant Materials
The year 10 Resistant Materials course is designed to continue the development of the designing and making skills required to complete a successful controlled Assessment project. Pupils will take part in 3 exciting new projects that cover the main material areas – Wood, Metal and Plastics.

Bits in a box! At the start of the year pupils develop technical drawing skills in order to communicate their proposed design of a wooden box. Their design is then developed by gaining knowledge and understanding through practical experiments of a variety of joining methods. Once these skills have developed to high standard, pupils work independently to create their desired product. The CNC router and Sublimation Printer is the used in order to personalise elements of the box.

Playing with Pewter! In this project pupils are encouraged to get creative with the Pewter casting technique. They will learn the intricate skills required to create a successful mould using Computer aided Design in preparation for casting metals using Computer Aided Manufacture. They will then continue to be workshop based, learning and developing the ability to refine and complete a high quality product. Products range from jewellery and keying’s to name plates.

Enterprise! Towards the end of the year pupils are given the opportunity to see how their newly developed skills can make them money! They are shown how to use plastic combined with our CAD/CAM and sublimation equipment to create a high quality product. They are then encouraged to set up a business and continue the manufacture of products in order to make a profit. This profit will be turned into high street vouchers and split between each team.

Year 11 Resistant Materials
The GCSE Resistant Materials course is intended to develop students' designing and making skills in interesting and exciting ways.  It requires them to become creative and innovative, designing products with potential for commercial production. Students manufacture their designs and test and evaluate their success. The design process for this project starts in the final term of Year 10 and continues until completion at the end of the autumn term in Year 11.

After this, students revisit the skills gained throughout the full GCSE course and prepare for the 2 hour examination, which is taken at the end of year 11.

The GCSE is assessed based on their Design portfolio & Practical Making (Controlled Assessment), this accounts for 60% and the final exam making up the remaining 40% of the total marks.